I think I shocked the hell out of you this month. You certainly weren’t expecting one of the reactions that you got. It has long been a bone of contention between us I guess that we weren’t quite able to agree on a five year plan. Not that we have ever actually discussed creating a five year plan but whenever the topic came around of what we wanted to do or where we expected to be in a couple of years’ time, there was no definitive answer.
Do we want another child? Well yes, eventually. When? Not sure, let’s see how things go. Do we want to move? Possibly. Where? Not sure. There is the kindy to consider as Genevieve is happy there and my OB to consider because I liked him the first time around and if it’s in my power not to change something that works, I probably won’t. Oh and we have to afford to live so jobs are an issue too. Should we renovate? Would it me a major extension or a minor one? Can we really afford either? Let’s see how things go. In lieu of making any decisions whatsoever, we were (or at least I was) in a holding pattern that said let’s see how things go.
We had perhaps moved a step forward in that I am no longer anchored by my job. I don’t think there will be much love lost on either side if I left. Which is probably why when you presented me with what you thought was a bit of a harebrained scheme, I said sure, I’ll check it out.
After years of not wanting to leave Sydney, you presented me with the possibility of buying a house in a town of around 40 people over 2 ½ hours away and I said I would be happy to go and inspect. It was almost a perfect house too. Four bedrooms, ensuite, walk-in robe, internal garage, two separate living areas, massive shed, flat garden, wood fire, walk-in pantry, nicely painted, the list goes on. It was also theoretically within cooee of our close friends and former neighbours who had just relocated to the area (although we knew they would move from their rental property eventually). It was commuting distance to Canberra and my family and we would be much better off financially. Assuming at least one of us had a decent job. We both liked it. A lot.
There were a few sticking points though. I wasn’t ready to take a complete leap of faith and hope that one of us could land a job soon after we had moved. I wasn’t even sure then bank would let us do it if there wasn’t some guarantee of employment at the other end. You were concerned about us moving to a largely rural community and I was concerned about the size of the town. I know how many times we carted Genevieve off to the hospital even if it was for nothing significant and ultimately life threatening. Goulburn would have been the closest option for this house and that was at least 20 minutes away.
We started the process though. I think we gradually moved from a position of what if and wouldn’t it be nice to a commitment of this is going to happen, we just need to work out the logistics. You definitely jumped in with both feel though. That first day we went to see the house and then catch up with Neighbourette and her clan, you excused yourself to go down the pub and ingratiate yourself with the locals. You met someone who may prospectively take on the management of the pub and if so, would potentially be in the position of offering employment. You also applied and interviewed for a job at Grandma’s Little Bakery, a business just up the road that was after a customer service manager of sorts.
As we had hoped that I would be the one who was working, neither of those were really ideal in the end. And perhaps there was something about that first house that we saw that wasn’t absolutely perfect. A reason that we ultimately weren’t prepared to sign on the dotted line. I have to say though that now that it’s a very real possibility that I am ready to move and you might get to be the stay-at-home-dad that you have always wanted to be, you are much happier than you have been in a while. I can see there is going to be a lot of road trips in our future…
Your Loving Wife