Dear (hypothetical) Button,
Occasionally, Sparky comes out with pearls of wisdom. He’s been through a lot in life and whilst he’s not traditionally academic, he is definitely smarter than a lot of people I know. He is therefore often a good person to go to for advice. You should know this. He does however tend to pick and choose when his brilliance will shine through. Or he just runs out of credit occasionally. Last night was one of those nights.
As I was getting myself a drink, Sparky picked up a pamphlet on a charity bike ride that is being run to raise money for cancer research. A laudable cause and one in which I’m sure a lot of people will be interested to participate. It is a weekend ride apparently across a Saturday and Sunday and as for the distance over those two days – its only about 200kms! Sparky asked if I would be interested. My immediate response was to wonder on which planet my husband’s brain was currently living. Especially when I found out the dates.
So my answer was of course, “No. No, I am not interested” which was then closely followed by “let me tell you the reasons that this would be a really bad idea”:
- This is not my thing.
- It finishes one day before my birthday. I’d like to be able to sit down on my birthday without raging discomfort.
- I haven’t ridden a bike in years.
- I don’t even own a road bike.
- Just when do you suppose I am going to fit in training for such an event given that we’re trying to get pregnant and I could well be quite pregnant at that time. I’m not sure that would do great things for my balance (although it might look pretty funny).
- If I am pregnant right now, that ride would be about two weeks after the due date so I think I’ll be a little tired and uh, “occupied” that weekend.
Are you nuts?
Now 1-4 you might argue are really excuses, not reasons but I figure 5 and 6 are fairly legitimate concerns. And I think its safe to say that we have now put this suggestion to rest. I think its also safe to say that despite the fact that this whole baby thing seems to be taking up certain parts of Sparky’s consciousness at present, its certainly not extending to all of them yet. You know, it’d be nice if I thought that the suggestion was because he had such faith in my ability (and interest) but I’m pretty sure it was because he didn’t really give it much forethought at all. Oh well. Theres always a next time.
* I would credit the image if I had the faintest idea of who owned it.